Saturday, April 23, 2016

Zoodles... not just for dinner anymore!


It's been almost a year since my last post... in that year, both my parents passed away, we cleaned out my childhood home, and frankly, I felt much more like like eating cookies, drinking wine, and watching old episodes of Murder She Wrote than blogging. But, spring is supposed to a time of renewal, and I thought I'd see if I could get back at it.

This recipe was borne out of the idea that I really wanted hashbrowns, and had started cooking onions and peppers to go in them when I realized that if you put one of those bags of refrigerated shredded "just potatoes!" in to the freezer, they turn into a giant block of ice that you can't separate even if you smack it on the counter repeatedly. SO, I turned to my longtime friend, zoodles.

Basically, all that was involved here was sautéing onions and peppers in a little bit of butter, tossing in the zoodles, and then cracking in two eggs. You don't have to let the zoodles cook much, because they will as the eggs cook.

 
Let them cook for a bit, then eventually you'll decide you're about to die of starvation waiting for the eggs to cook, so cover them with a lid until the whites become firm.


At this point, I was worried I would never get them out of the pan intact, so decided to take a pre-emptive photo.

But... voila!

This was really good- lighter than a traditional breakfast but it was still tasty and felt fancy. Definitely going to do it again!


As a side note, Murder She Wrote is amazing comfort TV, there is a surprisingly vast array of guest starts, and, I mean look, just look, at these sets! (there are an inordinate number of excessively fancy bathrooms).

3 comments:

Emma said...

Looks very appetizing. Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely try.

John said...

Amazing dish! Thanks!

Amelia Miller said...

Tastes super good! My husband also liked it very much. Thank you for the recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails