Friday, September 10, 2010

Something Different: DIY Jewelry Rack

So, I make jewelry. The reason I started selling jewelry, was partly that I have more necklaces than any normal person needs, had given them to everyone I know for presents, and needed a new outlet. So, I now have things to do with the new necklaces, but my own collection is still stuck on a series of hideous overloaded hooks. The two main problems with the hideous plastic hook system were that they were constantly tangled and I that couldn't see them all.

This idea came to me in a craft store, here is what you need for a little do it yourself action:
--a gridded baking cooling rack (preferably black)
--a package of black bobby pins
--needle nose pliers, or round nose jewelry pliers
--decoration, if you want (here, some discount Christmas berries. I also considered ribbon woven around the edge).


Take the rack, and put whatever decorations you plan to use on it first- this works better for things like the berries so that you can place your hooks around them. 

To create the hooks, take a bobby pin, and, from behind the rack, clip it onto one of the horizontal bars, so that its hanging straight down on the front. Then, take your pliers, and grip halfway up the bobby pin. Bend the bobby pin upwards so it forms a V pointing up, making a hook. You can space the hooks out as you want- I found that leaving an empty square between them helped a lot when hanging things.

For necklaces, be sure to leave enough space between rows for the pieces to hang. I made one square for necklaces and the other for earrings. On the earrings rack, I put a series of hooks at the top for hoops, and the other earrings I just hung through the squares by their hooks.

Once all your hooks and decorations are installed, nail it up!

Here is the finished product... so far, it is working fantastically! Its not only cute, it was veeery budget friendly. give it a try!

2 comments:

nancy said...

I have googled for something like this to display/store my jewelry. Thanks for the ingenious idea!

Anonymous said...

That is soooooo cool i never thought of that! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails