Monday, July 5, 2010

Light Coconut Sorbet

Its summer, and that means that its time for cool and refreshing ices, ice creams, sorbets, and the like. Fortunately for you, I'm on it. First up... coconut!
Now, one reason I like sorbets is that they're somewhat less guilt-inducing than their creamier cousins. This one is no exception, and (depending on the additions you select) is dairy free and vegan, to boot!

The first thing that is going to happen here is a shameless product plug, which is entirely of my own volition. I am the proud owner of a Cuisinart ice-cream maker (thanks, Mom!). Among other things this feeds my fascination for appliances that only have an on-off switch (for other examples, see the air popper. As a side note about air poppers, mine dates back to approximately 1985 when my Grandma gave it to me for Christmas. A few years ago I decided to look and see if I should buy a newer one, and it turns out that the world of air poppers has not advanced even slightly in the last 25+ years). But, I digress. I love this ice-cream maker- it is very simple, easy to clean, fast, and makes a nice amount. I highly recommend it.

Ok, lets get down to it. Here is what you need (brace yourself this is very complicated):

2 cans coconut milk (use light, I can't vouch for the non-light in this scenario, plus using light is what makes it non-coronary inducing)
1/3-1/2 cup sugar
1/2-3/4 cup grated sweetened coconut

for bonus points (and this, you WILL NOT REGRET):
either-
.25tsp almond extract
OR
4 tbsp Trader Joes Lemon Curd
OR I didn't try this since I don't have it a smidge of amaretto would be killer. It also might keep it a little softer in the freezer in the long term, which is a plus.

Mix it together, run it in the ice-cream maker until delicious, then pop into the freezer. If you want to, you can melt the sugar in a bit of hot water first, but this doesn't end up noticeably changing the taste and does make it take longer. This sorbet is rich and tastes quite decadent... Enjoy!

*** side note. The lemon curd, which is insanely delicious, is the thing which would tip you over into non-vegan category. Fortunately, I'm not vegan, because its prety good. If you wanted a replacement lemon zest might work. Don't read the label on the lemon curd, just enjoy it sparingly.

2 comments:

nancy said...

This was delicious!

yellowfish said...

oh good, I'm glad you liked it! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails