Monday, March 8, 2010

Finally succumbed to the whole green smoothie thing...

OK, lets get this out of the way first-- I apologize on 2 fronts: 1. these pictures are STILL taken with my cell phone given the untimely demise of my camera. 2. I'm STILL sick so I can't post anything new other than smoothie recipes. But even so, its a good one, don't you worry.

There has been a lot of hype about adding dark leafy greens to smoothies. This is supposed to supply all kinds of extra nutrients, in addition to increasing energy levels and keeping you full longer. I have loved spinach since I was just a wee little child (I was apparently a weird wee little child- we have a copy of a Dr. Seuss book, "My Book About Me", in which I claim spinach is my favorite food. as a 4 year old). So, I went with spinach (don't get all excited about the camera, this is a free stock photo from http://www.sxc.hu/).

I was highly suspicious, but this was actually very good. I'm not going to go so far as to say you'd never know the spinach was in there. But I will say that you probably won't mind.

-1 cup fat free plain yogurt
-1 cup frozen blueberries
-1 cup baby spinach, washed and all that jazz
-2 tbsp walnuts
-1 squirt honey (I leave it to you to determine the volume of the squirt)
(see, now this is a camera phone picture).

Blend it either in a blender, or with an immersion blender, which is what I did.
The verdict: it is pretty good! It definitely is nutrient packed with the spinach, yogurt, blueberries and walnuts giving you plenty of antioxidants, vitamin A & C, iron, calcium, and omega-3's. Also, I really was full (but not overly full) for the entire morning, after sipping this. Don't be scared- I highly suggest you try it! I liked it enough that I've made at least 3 of them by now.

AN IMPORTANT WARNING: it is important to remember that you have just blended spinach and blueberries into tiny bits. I do NOT suggest drinking this at work unless you also bring a toothbrush. I also suggest not smiling at anyone until you have the opportunity to do a tooth check. Just saying.

*** ADDENDUM: I just made one this morning (these pictures are from a few days ago). I added Trader Joes lemon curd, to give it a little kick. holy smokes. I highly recommend either that or some lemon zest, it really brightened it up!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails